Skip to main content

Himalayan Memoirs: The Wanderlust



Prelude:
The following posts chronicle day 2 and day 3 of trek after leaving Gomukh..
------------------------------------------------------------
 
Jhala-Ganganani-Bhatwadi-Lata Saera
The path we were taking till now was mostly on the national highway till Jhala. The first of the many shortcuts we took immediately after Jhala. Climbing mountains is surprisingly easy in the mornings. Literally we sprinted to the top of a mountain called Sukha top. This was where we took our snack. More do’s and don’ts dawned upon me. I was told that when carrying the kavad, one cannot drink water nor eat anything even a candy. In fact there is a certain way by which one relieves himself of the kavad. So this essentially means that he carries the kavad upon himself the whole day as long as he is walking except for the 2 or 3 breaks in the middle. It was because of this that the first parts of my body which started aching were not the legs, rather it was the shoulders. Constantly shifting the weight didn’t help so at last I just decided to experience the pain. Soon we came to a place called Ganganani where there was a hot water spring. Of course we took a dip and it was such a relief. The road kept winding in front of us and our destination for the day still seems so far away even at 2 PM in the afternoon. Finally we came to Lata and crashed into extremely small room. There were 2 beds and there were 6 people in that room. It was only then that maamaji told me that today was the day where we covered the maximum distance. We had clocked 35 kms that day and no wonder my body was aching and creaking at every joint. Maamaji quickly added with a chuckle that that does not mean today was the most difficult day. It was extra difficult to get myself to do my hata yoga practices that day. Finally I had food and slept like a log.
 
 
Lata Saera-Bhaelak
This is where the real thing seemed to start. At the start of the trek, we will be leaving the national highway and head eastwards into the hills. 18 kms of uphill climb into the uttarkashi forests. No roads, no human settlements for a long distance. It was raining, the path was slippery and at times dangerous. Our final stop was Bhaelak and it was straight up all the way from lata. I reckon the temperature should have dropped at least 4-5 degrees. We passed through all kinds of floral signatures till we ended up at the high alpine meadow-like landscape at Bhaelak. We reached there pretty quickly at about noon and I am glad at that because it was very very cold at Bhaelak. Bhaelak is a very small village with about 6-10 houses. All of the residents were seasonal and mainly made up of cattle grazers. The view from the Shepard’s hut where I stayed was very idyllic with cows grazing the wide meadow below. There were lots of streams running nearby. The night stay at Bhaelak was very unique. As soon as I entered the hut, Maamaji (who had already reached there) insisted that I sit down immediately. I did not realize the import until my eyes got blinded by the smoke from the chulla. The huts were designed in such a way that all the smoke from the wood-burning stoves will stay at the top so that if one is seated, one is not bothered by the smoke. It was quite cosy by there and the Shepard served us some really good rotis and wholesome curd. The next morning at our usual arati before we load up the kavad’s, one of the women started shouting and jumping in what was quickly murmured as the arrival of the Gods into the women. We were asked to prostrate before the lady and receive her blessing as she was considered as divine in that state of inebriation.
 
------------------------------------------------------
Afterword:
Thanks to the following folks who responded to my appeal and who contributed generously to Isha Vidhya:
and Annonymous
postscriptum:
I am publishing these memoirs also as an effort to create awareness and raise money for the awesome work done by Isha Vidhya. You would be providing me positive incentive to continue to blog if you can join me in supporting this effort.Anything will help. Even 100 INR.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotel California

I was dropping off S for one of her meetings. The conversation meandered into how some of our volunteer friends were talking about me leaving IYC. S was observing that we would have never got married if I was not a Isha teacher at that time. She also observed how my deciding to move to Blore was kind of thrust upon her. It was a fair observation yet painful for me to hear it. At some point, I felt the need to justify/explain/clarify that i am a seeker. Still a seeker. After I said it, I felt a moment of pause within me. Am I a seeker? I felt embarrassed that I have to claim me being a seeker in so many words. Am I really a seeker? What does being a seeker mean? Does it mean that I should be living in an ashram? Does it mean that I need to work 100% and more towards a larger-than-life goal? Does it mean that I am checking out of "Hotel California" ? i.e. I am done with the world and ready for something else? Does it mean to live a constant affirmation that I may not know every

The Atlas of My heart - Belonging

Last weekend, I drove 800 Kms for nothing. This is hard to explain to myself. It is harder still to write about it. It's been a week since September 23rd. That time of the year in the Isha Calendar when a kind of gathering happens around the Master. It is called Lap of the Master. I wanted to participate in it. At least I thought as much. So somewhat mechanically I made plans to reach in time and participate. However on the morning of the event, I found myself waking up in my ashram cottage and unable to find a reason to go to the event. I really don't know what was behind this sudden onset of Tamas . Almost as if to justify my unwillingness to get up, my mind is trying say that it is because of the crowd etc. But for whatever reason, I felt like not going to the event. I rather be curled up in my bed and read what I was reading. Over the next few hours, I felt a gnawing sense of disconnect and disconcert. This lead me to search for a word of what I was going through. I think t

"My Devi bleeds Mathemathics"

One of the reasons why I buy physical copies of certain books especially of Osho and Sadhguru is that I want the reading to be a multi-sensory experience. The words take my being to soaring heights but yet it is untouchable and ungraspable. So in an attempt to touch the untouchable, I thumb through those glorious words on the pages to feel that same experience that the Master talks about. I occasionally bury my head in the open book to smell that fleeting fragrance and the embrace of the Master. My current predicament is that I want to distance myself from the flesh-and-bones and the brick-and-mortar aspect of Isha and still experience the magic of Isha. And still be open to Grace. It is like just wanting to have a nice meal at a restaurant without wanting to go to the kitchen and seeing the chaos backstage. The reason for choosing to live outside IYC is the fact that I had irreconcilable differences within me. I thought one uses the word 'irreconcilable differences' to explain